By adulthood, because of Oral Health Negligence, Dental Decays and Gum Diseases (pyorrhoea); most of the individuals have already lost 2-3 or more teeth.
With Time, It results in following self-invited consequences –
- Change of bite & compromises the chewing pattern
- Shifting teeth in empty spaces.
- Opening of contacts between teeth and food lodgment
- Difficulty keeping teeth clean leads to dental decay & Gum Disease.
- Grinding & Clenching.
- Painful Jaw Joints & development of TM joint disorders.
- Loss of Jaw Bone.
- Aged look.
- Indigestion, weight loss, disturbed sleep, chronic Headaches etc.
So basically failing to replace one missing tooth becomes a huge liability for future. Dentistry is not expensive, neglect is!!! Early replacement of missing tooth is mandatory and can be considered about 6-8 weeks after tooth removal.
Dental implants are the fixed replacement for missing teeth. Unlike other tooth replacement options, dental implants are the perfect way to stabilize uncomfortable or loose fitting dentures. Implants will give you a sturdy fit which feels natural and improves functionality of your smile. They are so conservative that you don’t even need to trim the adjacent virgin tooth for support! Overall they help to keep your jaw healthy, so that your facial structure stays pristine.
Not all dental implants are equal. There are over 450 dental implant manufacturing companies in the world. However only the top 5 Brands make for 95% of the implant sales in the world. Here are some things to keep in mind when researching implants and their manufacturers:
a) How long has the company been in business?
There is a chance that your implant may need some form of maintenance for which we may need certain components to address an issue in the future. Now if cost effective companies shuts down 5 or 10 years from today and if those parts cannot be made available, it may lead to the implant in your mouth being deemed a liability thus needing bigger surgery to replace that implant or may need to be buried in the bone and not used anymore.
b) What type of research do they have to back up their system?
The top brands like straumann & Nobel Biocare (Danaher) are carrying out tremendous amounts of research and development to improve the vast number of features a tiny little dental implant has. This increases predictability and success rates.
c) Do they meet the FDA requirements (they must in order to be legal)?
We offer only Implants that are available worldwide and have United States FDA approval.
Our selection would base on systemic wellbeing of the patient, location, quality and quantity of available bone and we also consider the time of implant placement after tooth extraction.
Our recommendations are World’s top 2 brands –
- Straumann (since 1954) is possibly the most reliable and best dental implant company.
- Nobel Biocare, Danaher (Since 1978) is a bit younger but still one of the best.
- I usually prefer various bone and tissue level Active implants from both the brands.
- Few Korean companies are backed up with some short term research and are kind of replicas of these leading brands. So if finance is the issue, you may take minor risk with these cost effective systems in otherwise healthy individual.
- For the tooth part (Crown), we often prefer implant to have a screw retained structure for the obvious reasons like ease of maintenance and retrievability.
In the same way dental implants are not created equal, neither are dental surgeons. Implant surgery is a sophisticated procedure and for the best results, it is important that you choose a dental implant expert (MDS Periodontist / Oral Surgeon / Prosthodontist) who has proper education, training and competence in implant dentistry. Personally I would not compromise with quality, skill and experience of a surgeon just to save few bucks. Remember one thing- A dental implant done wrong works out to be more expensive in the long run.
Our specialist Dr. Desai is a Periodontist (Gum surgery expert) who is extensively trained in Implantology during his Masters and he also holds the Fellowship from International Congress of Oral Implantologists (USA) and Fellowship in advanced oral Implantology. Currently he is also the Director of Surat city’s Implant study club of International Team of Implantologists (ITI). He possess the skill to perform implant surgery and can also rebuild the surrounding destroyed bone or gum tissue.
So it’s important to choose both the right implant manufacturer as well as the best implant surgeon. Your smile depends on it.
The cost of implant treatment depends on many individual factors including:
- The number of teeth that need to be replaced and the type of artificial teeth that will be used by implants.
- The type of implant(s) that will be appropriate in your case
- The need for any Bone Grafting or sinus lift procedures
Overall, considering the return for the investment that you’ll get from securing a healthy, functional, and beautiful smile, the cost is justified.
Unlike natural teeth, dental implants are not susceptible to dental decay; however, the health of the gums is vital to maintaining lasting implant success.
There are 2 aspects to the longevity of your dental implants.
Clinician’s related: Skill, technology and the type of implant selected. Correct surgical placement of implants and the teeth over the implants have to be designed right.
Patient’s related: Conscientious home care by the patient and regular professional cleanings and check-ups are essential elements for dental implant sustainability. Factors like smoking, diabetes, lack of calcium & Vit. D3, osteoporosis, immunosuppression, blood disorders, existing oral infections and Patients receiving Inj. bisphosphonate therapy can have the adverse effect on the implants.
We have followed up patients having uneventful dental implants for up to 25 years.
Dental implants have an extremely high success rate and if properly placed by an expert implantologist, it definitely increases the odds that guarantee success.
There are two types of implant failure.
Immediate implant failure– Failure of the dental implant 4-90 days after implant placement. This could be because of a number of reasons but the most common and the most preventable are infection and bone loss. It’s also possible that the implant may fail to osseo-integrate with your jawbone. At our Clinic we have a 98% initial success with dental implants.
Delayed implant failure-This is also known as Peri implantitis- a kind of infection that forms around the implant and the gums. This is usually due to poor dental hygiene maintenance after an implant placement. At our office, we have made a strict rule to attain regular checkups atleast once in a year to avoid any complications. Our implant patients get Initial first 3 consultations (Post-surgery) absolutely for free.
- Patients on bisphosphonate drug therapy
- Patients afflicted by blood disorders
- Immunocompromised or immunosuppressed patients.
- Inadequate bone quality and quantity. Your doctor will evaluate if you are a suitable patients for bone grafting procedure.
- Low serum calcium and / or Vit D3 levels. Managed by taking oral / injectable supplements.
- Untreated periodontitis (Pyorrhea) infection. It must be removed first.
- Uncontrolled diabetes. Controlling the blood sugar level makes you the candidate to receive Implants.
- Quitting smoking will significantly increase your chances of successful implant therapy.
- Irradiated bone in cancer patients.
With the sedation techniques available at the time of treatment and helpful instructions for home care, many people report that they feel better than anticipated. Often, they return to work and daily activities the same day or the next day. While there may be some discomfort and bruising, this typically lasts only a short time.
Treatment time varies from patient to patient depending on quality and quantity of available bone to place the implant. Dental implants can be placed within one day. Typically, you will have some type of temporary teeth until your implants integrate with the bone. Usually we prefer to avoid loading them immediately for the long term success and restore the implants within 3-4 months’ time. However, It is important to consult your implantologist and plan your trip accordingly.
Patients travelling from overseas should be in India for a minimum of 12-15 days for the surgical treatment to allow us to check for any possible complications. Should complications arise after you have returned home, you would either have to fly back to India so that we could take care of your problems or you would have to consult a local periodontist at your own cost.